Image from David Suzuki Foundation

By The Associated Press

The world’s air has reached what scientists call a troubling new milestone for carbon dioxide, the main global warming pollutant.

Monitoring stations across the Arctic this spring are measuring more than 400 parts per million of the heat-trapping gas in the atmosphere. The number isn’t quite a surprise, because it’s been rising at an accelerating pace. Years ago, it passed the 350 ppm mark that many scientists say is the highest safe level for carbon dioxide. It now stands globally at 395.

So far, only the Arctic has reached that 400 level, but the rest of the world will follow soon.

“The fact that it’s 400 is significant,” said Jim Butler, global monitoring director at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Earth System Research Lab in Boulder, Colo. “It’s just a reminder to everybody that we haven’t fixed this and we’re still in trouble.”

Carbon dioxide is the chief greenhouse gas and stays in the atmosphere for 100 years. Some carbon dioxide is natural, mainly from decomposing dead plants and animals. Before the Industrial Age, levels were around 275 parts per million.

For more than 60 years, readings have been in the 300s, except in urban areas, where levels are skewed. The burning of fossil fuels, such as coal for electricity and oil for gasoline, has caused the overwhelming bulk of the man-made increase in carbon in the air, scientists say.

It’s been at least 800,000 years – probably more – since Earth saw carbon dioxide levels in the 400s, Butler and other climate scientists said.

Until now.

Readings are coming in at 400 and higher all over the Arctic. They’ve been recorded in Alaska, Greenland, Norway, Iceland and even Mongolia. But levels change with the seasons and will drop a bit in the summer, when plants suck up carbon dioxide, NOAA scientists said.

So the yearly average for those northern stations likely will be lower and so will the global number.

Globally, the average carbon dioxide level is about 395 parts per million but will pass the 400 mark within a few years, scientists said.

The Arctic is the leading indicator in global warming, both in carbon dioxide in the air and effects, said Pieter Tans, a senior NOAA scientist.

“This is the first time the entire Arctic is that high,” he said.

Tans called reaching the 400 number “depressing,” and Butler said it was “a troubling milestone.”

Read more from Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/climate-change-carbon-dioxide-troubling-milestone_n_1558561.html

Tags:

Categories: Climate Change, Ecocide, Fossil Fuels, Science

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

20 Comments on “Carbon emissions reach “troubling milestone” as 400 ppm recorded at Arctic monitoring stations”

1. October 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Doctors know that we should avoid inflammation to stay healthy, so it is recommended to take supplements
    that would provide an anti-inflammatory effect. The Expo will be held on Saturday,
    January 28th from 10 am ‘ 5 pm and Sunday, January 29th from 12 noon- 5 pm.
    Every single person`s checklist varies, nevertheless the
    majority include family and friends 1st.

2. October 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and
    thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am
    just following you. Look forward to checking out your web page repeatedly.

3. October 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

ロレックス デイトナ 価格

4. November 19, 2013 at 5:07 am #

This is a topic that is close to my heart…

Many thanks! Exactly where are your contact details though?

5. November 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

I always used to study paragraph in news papers but now as
    I am a user of internet so from now I am
    using net for content, thanks to web.

6. If this wasn’t important in the first place the US State Department wouldn’t have to spend $630 thousands for Facebook
    campaigns. t be surprised if we saw this feature rolling out
    sooner than later. However apart from having advantages, brand have their disadvantages too.

7. August 6, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

I blog often and I truly thank you for your content. Your article has really peaked
    my interest. I will take a note of your website and keep checking for
    new details about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed too.

8. August 7, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

I’ll right away take hold of your rss feed as I can’t in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Kindly let me understand in order that
    I may subscribe. Thanks.

9. August 11, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks for another excellent article. The place elee may
    just anykne get that type of information in such an idsal way of writing?
    I have a pesentation subsequent week, and I am on the
    look for such info.

10. August 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

At Mind – Jolt games, users can play some of the many arcade,
    puzzle, and sports games. Finally, I would like to provide Best
    Wishes for any Prosperous New Year. Also you’ll find daily lotteries that provides you the capacity
    to get Poker chips for free.

11. August 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually recognise what you’re speaking approximately!

Bookmarked. Kindly additionally discuss with my web site =).
    We can have a link alternate agreement among us

12. August 13, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

Awesome issues here. I am very satisfied to look your article.
    Thank you a lot and I am having a look forward to contact you.

Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

13. August 14, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

Chairman of the consumers materials and workmanship no matter how old the property to expel the spirit of the Federal Communications Commission, Pennsylvania.
    Kitchen remodeling, from before the Honorable consumers Kate Wilkonson, she and Gadd argued.
    He is expected to be known for their permits to operate with a cloth.
    Any of the process of work done at all times. After a year or
    two with your consumers particular project. The earning of reputation and quality equipment.
    Also, asking for referencesOne of the wall of the building.

14. August 15, 2014 at 7:53 am #

Hello to all, the contents present at this website are truly amazing for people
    knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

15. August 27, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something
    which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

16. August 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

Such hormone is passed into the urine. A test wand human chorionic gonadotropin is
    held in the 1960s. She grows gravid Her answer was, you’re pregnant, waiting a specified period of time on the strip is
    facing up. You will need to go.

17. August 29, 2014 at 3:26 am #

Definitely consider that that you stated. Your favourite justification appeared to be at the net the easiest thing to consider of.

I say to you, I definitely get irked while other folks consider issues
    that they just don’t recognise about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing with no need side effect , folks
    could take a signal. Will likely be again to get
    more. Thank you

18. August 29, 2014 at 7:17 am #

If you are going for finest contents like myself, only visit this website daily since it gives feature
    contents, thanks

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The 20s’ Earth Summits- Legal meetings Where Corporations Unite to the Destroy Planet Earth « Wind of Life: Discussion about our environment in general - June 19, 2012

[...] have been increased in number while the environmental crisis has been deepened and widened Carbon emissions reach “troubling milestone” as 400 ppm recorded at Arctic monitoring stations . What a [...]