Image from David Suzuki Foundation

By The Associated Press

The world’s air has reached what scientists call a troubling new milestone for carbon dioxide, the main global warming pollutant.

Monitoring stations across the Arctic this spring are measuring more than 400 parts per million of the heat-trapping gas in the atmosphere. The number isn’t quite a surprise, because it’s been rising at an accelerating pace. Years ago, it passed the 350 ppm mark that many scientists say is the highest safe level for carbon dioxide. It now stands globally at 395.

So far, only the Arctic has reached that 400 level, but the rest of the world will follow soon.

“The fact that it’s 400 is significant,” said Jim Butler, global monitoring director at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Earth System Research Lab in Boulder, Colo. “It’s just a reminder to everybody that we haven’t fixed this and we’re still in trouble.”

Carbon dioxide is the chief greenhouse gas and stays in the atmosphere for 100 years. Some carbon dioxide is natural, mainly from decomposing dead plants and animals. Before the Industrial Age, levels were around 275 parts per million.

For more than 60 years, readings have been in the 300s, except in urban areas, where levels are skewed. The burning of fossil fuels, such as coal for electricity and oil for gasoline, has caused the overwhelming bulk of the man-made increase in carbon in the air, scientists say.

It’s been at least 800,000 years – probably more – since Earth saw carbon dioxide levels in the 400s, Butler and other climate scientists said.

Until now.

Readings are coming in at 400 and higher all over the Arctic. They’ve been recorded in Alaska, Greenland, Norway, Iceland and even Mongolia. But levels change with the seasons and will drop a bit in the summer, when plants suck up carbon dioxide, NOAA scientists said.

So the yearly average for those northern stations likely will be lower and so will the global number.

Globally, the average carbon dioxide level is about 395 parts per million but will pass the 400 mark within a few years, scientists said.

The Arctic is the leading indicator in global warming, both in carbon dioxide in the air and effects, said Pieter Tans, a senior NOAA scientist.

“This is the first time the entire Arctic is that high,” he said.

Tans called reaching the 400 number “depressing,” and Butler said it was “a troubling milestone.”

Read more from Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/climate-change-carbon-dioxide-troubling-milestone_n_1558561.html

Tags:

Categories: Climate Change, Ecocide, Fossil Fuels, Science

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

29 Comments on “Carbon emissions reach “troubling milestone” as 400 ppm recorded at Arctic monitoring stations”

1. October 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Doctors know that we should avoid inflammation to stay healthy, so it is recommended to take supplements
    that would provide an anti-inflammatory effect. The Expo will be held on Saturday,
    January 28th from 10 am ‘ 5 pm and Sunday, January 29th from 12 noon- 5 pm.
    Every single person`s checklist varies, nevertheless the
    majority include family and friends 1st.

2. October 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and
    thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am
    just following you. Look forward to checking out your web page repeatedly.

3. October 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

ロレックス デイトナ 価格

4. November 19, 2013 at 5:07 am #

This is a topic that is close to my heart…

Many thanks! Exactly where are your contact details though?

5. November 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

I always used to study paragraph in news papers but now as
    I am a user of internet so from now I am
    using net for content, thanks to web.

6. September 1, 2014 at 5:36 pm #

Now I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming yet again to read additional news.

7. September 3, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you
    amend your web site, how could I subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit
    acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

8. September 4, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

Why visitors still use to read news papers when in this technological globe
    everything is exiisting on net?

9. Good day! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to
    give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your articles.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that
    go over the same subjects? Thanks for your time!

10. September 7, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

My family members always say that I am wasting my time here at net, however I know I am getting
    familiarity every day by reading thes nice content.

11. September 9, 2014 at 10:39 am #

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to
    my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the
    shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had
    to tell someone!

12. September 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the
    same time as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had
    been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided shiny clear idea

13. September 10, 2014 at 12:11 am #

Remarkable! Its actually remarkable paragraph, I have got much clear idea concerning from this piece of writing.

14. September 10, 2014 at 12:40 am #

Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave iit to my 4 year oold daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed.

Therre was a hermit crab insise and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely ooff topic butt I had
    to tell someone!

15. September 10, 2014 at 5:17 am #

With havin so much content and articles do you ever
    run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog
    has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself
    or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any ways to help reduce content from being
    stolen? I’d really appreciate it.

16. September 10, 2014 at 11:25 am #

I have been exploring for a bit for aany high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of space .
    Explooring in Yahoo I at last sumbled upon this site.
    Studying this info So i am happy to express that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I found out just what
    I needed. I most indubitably will make certain to do nnot
    forget this website and give it a look regularly.

17. September 10, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Hi every one, here every one is sharing such familiarity,
    so it’s pleasant to read this weblog, and I used to
    pay a quick visit this web site everyday.

18. September 16, 2014 at 3:27 am #

I feel this is among the most significant information for me.
    And i’m satisfied studying your article. But wanna commentary on some
    normal issues, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is in point of fact great : D.

Excellent process, cheers

19. September 22, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

Helpful info. Lucky me I found your web site by chance, and
    I am stunned why this coincidence didn’t came about earlier!
    I bookmarked it.

20. September 23, 2014 at 6:29 am #

Link exchange is nothing else however it is only placing the other person’s web
    site link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do similar in support of
    you.

21. September 23, 2014 at 7:45 am #

I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Well written!

22. September 23, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Some cooks like to use thee steel prior to using the
    knife each time. This steel is hard enough for the knives to hold their acute cutting edge
    for longer, but soft enough so that it is not too difficult to sharpen them.
    Two elements are considered to be the negative things of Wusthof Santoku Knife,
    it has an expensive value and care.

23. September 23, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook
    group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really
    appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks

24. September 28, 2014 at 10:53 am #

I want to thank Steve and Freedom Ammunition for a
    smooth seamless method to transfer my new AR-15.

25. September 29, 2014 at 1:57 pm #

They assure you of unparalleled service, luxury, and convenience
    in a choice of the best aircraft. The fact that helicopters are able
    to hover continuously over a particular area or subject is yet another added benefit of helicopter rental, and it is critical that whichever aircraft chosen for
    the job has windows that open completely. Construction Surveying:
    It is used to mark the positions and layout
    of structures, such as buildings and roads for subsequent construction.

26. September 29, 2014 at 11:22 pm #

But when purchasing an remote control helicopter it can be difficult to understand how it
    works and the difference between terminologies used to describe the machine.
    The Lens – Pro is an effort to bridge this alienation that photographers feel while searching for
    lenses suiting their craft. Any scratches that occur in the surface of your aquarium
    can be polished out, allowing it to maintain a
    beautiful appearance in your home or office.

27. September 30, 2014 at 4:24 am #

It’s a virtual globe, map, and geographic information program.

A blue sky can be darkened by a polarizing filter, but it has to be blue
    in the first place. Any scratches that occur in the surface of your aquarium can be polished out, allowing it to maintain a beautiful appearance in your home or office.

28. September 30, 2014 at 7:15 am #

The total width of the film used is 240 mm and the film magazine capacity ranges up to film lengths of
    120 meters’ frame of imagery is capture with each opening of the camera shutter, which is tripped at a set frequency by an electronic device called an interval
    meter. However, you should first learn to fly the helicopter well.

Construction Surveying: It is used to mark the positions and layout of structures, such as buildings and roads for subsequent construction.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The 20s’ Earth Summits- Legal meetings Where Corporations Unite to the Destroy Planet Earth « Wind of Life: Discussion about our environment in general - June 19, 2012

[...] have been increased in number while the environmental crisis has been deepened and widened Carbon emissions reach “troubling milestone” as 400 ppm recorded at Arctic monitoring stations . What a [...]