One of the biggest barriers to effective resistance today is that most people who want to resist don’t have the knowledge or skills. That’s why Deep Green Resistance offers trainings and workshops to aspiring organizers and revolutionaries.
Our trainings are tailored to your needs and adapted to your specific situation. These trainings aim to move us from ineffective protest to material resistance. Typical subjects we cover include:
- Grand strategy and campaign strategy
- Direct action tactics
- Know your rights and jail support
- Security culture
- Community organizing
- Leadership and decision-making
- Liberalism vs. radicalism
- Secure communications and research
- Intro to Decisive Ecological Warfare (DGR strategy)
How to Organize a Training
Organizing a DGR training is one of the best tools for connecting with our people in person. These trainings provide an extended opportunity (typically lasting 2-3 days, but with the potential for longer and shorter trainings, CoViD-safe distancing protocols, and online trainings) to build relationships and normalize militant resistance.
This document is broken down into four steps, which are organized roughly in chronological order.
Step 1: Liaise with Local Contact
Any training is dependent on some level of local assistance to help coordinate. This assistance should ideally come from someone engaged with organizing in their community, or who is an organic leader. Step one is to engage in communication with a primary local contact to determine baseline information for the training.
- Select a date and time
- Select a location
- Determine target audience and expected size
- Determine basic budget requirements (Will housing be required? Will a space need to be rented? etc.)
- Create draft program
Step 2: Registration
Once the date is chosen, we should open up registration as soon as possible. Registration could be open to the public, or closed for members of a certain group. Both options have pluses and minuses. Consider the need for screening and security. The cost of a weekend training is typically $20-$100 sliding scale. We generally offer free tickets via a simple email application request.
- Setup a method for registration
- Screen attendees
- Create a waiting list if necessary
Step 3: Promotion and Fundraising
Now that registration is set up, promotion and fundraising can begin.
- Setup an online fundraiser
- Track registration and donation income
- Track expenses
- Promote the training
Step 4: Logistics
The final element in the training is the boots-on-the-ground side of things.
- Make list of, purchase, and arrange transport for necessary supplies
- Organize meals (in coordination with local liaison)
- Organize housing for trainers (in coordination with local liaison)
- Organize transportation (such as speaker travel, carpooling, etc.)
If you are interested in organizing a DGR training in your community, or getting involved in trainings moving forward, please email email@example.com or contact us via encrypted chat using the app Wire (@deepgreenresistance).